Whilst TikTok serves as a great platform to find out trends, learn dances or discover new songs, it’s also beneficial for something more domestic: food!
Viral recipes for smashed Brussel sprouts are surfacing on TikTok at the moment. Take a look to see how to make the dish, and why it’s so popular.
What are smashed Brussel sprouts?
The recipe taking TikTok by storm is actually relatively simple.
Essentially, the dish is a way to add flavour and a crispy-texture to any meal. Equally, you can have it as a reasonably healthy snack!
Hundreds of TikToker’s have been trying out the recipe and even adding their own takes and twists to the viral bite.
The recipe seems to be a hit amongst the TikTok food community, receiving comments such as:
“Tell me why I hate Brussel sprouts but these look so good.”
“This dish is literally the best!”
How to make smashed Brussel sprouts from TikTok
There are many different takes on this recipe, but they all have similar outcomes. When making this dish, you’re looking to come out with crispiness and lots of flavour.
- Brussels sprouts
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice (optional)
- Any other toppings of your choice
- Begin by parboiling the sprouts before placing them on a baking tray.
- Next, drizzle the olive oil and add spices on top of the boiled sprouts.
- Grab a glass and flatten out the sprouts – essentially giving them the ‘smashed’ look.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- After the 15 minutes, flip the sprouts over and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how crispy you would like them.
- Take them out of the oven and squeeze a small amount of lemon juice on top.
Best smashed Brussel sprout examples
If you’re wanting to try out different variations of the recipe, take a look at these different examples:
Will you be trying this dish?